Hosen-ji Zen Center is a Rinzai Zen Buddhist Temple. It is set in a quiet, traditional Japanese village, surrounded by water and mountains.
Regardless of age, only@man, nationality, religion or language is welcome. Peple may stay for any length of time provided they adhere to the schedule and the rules of the Zen Center. A person is considered a member upon arrival.
Hosen-ji Zen Center members range from serious practitioners interested in a monastic life to those who simply want a Japanese Zen experience. The center's core purpose is to teach zen meditation and to introduce members to life in a zen temple.
A zen monastry is strongly recommended for more intensive practice.
We have lots of information availale about Japanese Zen Buddhism.
HOW TO APPLY
Send name, address, date of arrival and length of stay by mail, e-mail, phone or fax. Please come at the intended date by 3 p.m. If your itinerary changes, please notify us.
Hosen-ji Zen Center TEL (81)771-24-0378
5:20 Wake-up bell 5:45 Zazen 7F00 Sutra chanting 7:20 Morning cleaning 7F40 Breakfast 9:00 - 11:30 Group work 12:00 Lunch 12:30 - 16:30 Free time 16:30 Supper 18:50 Zazen 20:30 Idaten Sutra 22:00 Lights out
\ 10,000 (3 nights include@all meals)
from 4night donation (per night)
- One month:
- \ 80,000
- (For those who wish to stay longer the cost may be discussed after three months@payment.)
- You should arrive before 3.00pm, otherwise you will not get supper!
- Please respect the rules of this center.
- The basic schedule may change from time to time.
- Wednesdays are holidays, without schedule, meals are available.
- The Center does not serve strictly vegetarian meals (although most of the food has no meat or fish).
- Please bring your own toiletries (soap, towel, etc.) and loose-fitting, comfortable clothes for zazen (not jeans) and working. (Subdued colours and clothing that does not rustle is preferable for zazen).
- Hosen-ji Zen Center does not accept responsibility for any accident or illness that may occur to its members.
From JR Kyoto Station, take the Sagano line from platform 32 or 33 to Umahori station.
From there to Hosen-ji Zen Center it is approximately a 15 minutes walk.
Once you get out of the station, go to the first intersection, turn left and keep walking straight up the road, you will be able to see the temple's loghouse and two loghouse cabins at the bottom of the mountains.
See map below.